Saturday, July 08, 2006

BYE BYE 39

This year marks 40 years of my life!



AUGUST 4, 1966

In less than 30 days I will say goodbye to my '30s! Hard to believe and yet, when I look around me I say 'of course!' My kids ages combined adds up to more than my own age, I'm beginning to get wrinkles around my eyes, my husband is already 40, I have bifocal contact lenses, I longingly look at little babies and dream of grandchildren, our nephews and nieces have their own children, every once in a while we discuss 25th anniversary celebration ideas, I have a child who drives, I have kids who have jobs, my son is the same age that my husband was when we began dating, my 'baby' is 12 now...Yes, I'm on the precipice of 40! BUT, there are things that make me wonder if I'm not 40 - my son turns the music down on ME (I admit it - I've always liked to crank up the volume!), I'm still a paper delivery 'girl' (I love the exercise), I still love birthdays, gifts and Christmas, I still get excited when snail mail arrives, once our kids waited for us at the entrance to an amusement park - because WE lost track of time...

I don't remember 1966 much :) so I researched it and here's what I found:

- Indira Gandhi was the PM of India
- Art treasures were ruined during severe floods in Florence
- The first solo voyage around the world was made by Francis Chichester
- Australia won 105 medals at the Commonwealth Games in Kingston, Jamaica.
Movies in 1966: Georgy Girl (Alan Bates, Lynn Redgrave) and Born Free (Bill Travers, Virginia McKenna) - and some other ones that I don't recognize!
Music in 1966: Green, Green Grass of Home (Tom Jones), Monday Monday (Mamas & Papas), I'm a Believer (Monkees), Yellow Submarine (Beatles) - and much more that (again) I don't recognize;
Lots on TV: Dr Kildare, The Avengers, Lassie, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Andy Griffiths Show - again, these are ones that sound familiar to me (even though I grew up without a TV!).

Canadian Things in 1966:March 12 - Bobby Hull sets the record for the most goals in an NHL season; May 18 - Paul Joseph Chartier is killed when a bomb he is carrying goes off on Parliament Hill; October 1 - The CBC becomes the first Canadian television network to broadcast in colour; December 31 - The Centennial flame in front of Parliament Hill is lit;
Grey Cup - Saskatchewan Roughriders win 29-14 over the Ottawa Rough Riders;
Stanley Cup - Montreal Canadiens win 4-2 over the Detroit Red Wings. Stephen Leacock Award: George Bain, Nursery Rhymes to Be Read Aloud by Young Parents with Old Children.
Star Trek premieres starring Montreal actor William Shatner.

Other Canadians who turn 40 this year: Jeff Healey, musician (March 25), Belinda Stronach, politician (May 2); Gary Roberts, politician (May 23); Kurt Browning, figure skater (June 18); Joe Nieuwendyk, ice hockey player (September 10); Peter Milkovich, field hockey midfielder (October 17); Wendel Clark, ice hockey player (October 25); Kiefer Sutherland, actor (December 21).

I share my birthday with:
1792, Percy Bysshe
Shelley W r i t e r; 1901, Louis Armstrong M u s i c i a n; 1904, Antonio Vivaldi C o m p o s e r [ d. 1741 ]; 1947, Klaus Schultze M u s i c a l A r t i s t; 1952, Maire Ni Bhraonian M u s i c a l A r t i s t; 1955, Billy Bob Thornton A c t o r; 1958, Ian Broudie M u s i c a l A r t i s t; 1962, Roger Clemens A t h l e t e; 1962, Paul Reynolds M u s i c a l A r t i s t; 1981, Marques Houston M u s i c a l A r t i s t.

I've never met any of those people but I do know a few people who share my birthdate - my sisters-in-law's sister Dorothy, Lou-Ann from church, and Missy - who I know will be 10 this year because she was born on my 30th birthday! TIME FLIES! HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVERYONE! Treasure the moments that God has blessed you with - and 'SEIZE THE DAY'!

Remember your Creator while life lies before you

Remember His only Son who gave His life for you

And think on His laws, and see life through His eyes

Then you'll know that you're

Walkin' wise!

(Judy Rogers)

7 comments:

SunnySusan said...

Great post Twinnie

I missed many of your posts.
Let us know when you post OK

CereneOne said...

I'm with ya just next year! I am looking foward to 40. It is a great number, biblically!

Just Another Thought said...

Happy B'day...hope you have a wonderful 40th b'day...I liked the way you wrote...a beautiful feeling isn't it

Unknown said...

Happy early birthday! May you have a wonderful and blessed year filled with much happiness and many laughs!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! May God bless you and be with you.
If you need to get your 'baby fix', you can always borrow Dylan!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday!! i hope your forties are as fun as your thirties (and earlier) sound! see you on sunday!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday...and Bobby Hull was a Chicago Blackhawk. My dad and I used to watch hockey together!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...