Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Skipping Rope (& update)



I've had a few blog posts in the works lately, but I haven't had much time to post -- life has taken over. There's the post called 'The Apron', and the one about 'The Bicycle' -- both are partially written down, partially still in my brain. I thought I'd post today about 'The Skipping Rope'.

Spring seems to have arrived here (I say seems because I read recently that since they've been keeping weather records around here, there have only been TWO Aprils in Ontario that haven't had the white stuff...) -- but the calendar says so and so do the kids. First it was the temperature watch -- you know, they see that temperature climbing and they get restless to get outside. Their school work gets done very quickly, so they can enjoy the outdoors. Then the questions start -- can we wear sandels? shorts? tank tops?

Inevitably, after we're through the questions, out come the skipping ropes. Every day. Morning and night. The neighbours knock on the door, the girls whisk outside and they're busy skipping. They bring them along most places that we go. A good, portable game. It's been this way for years.

And I remember back, years ago it seems, doing the very same thing. For me it was in the driveway with friends, and at school. We were always skipping (and playing 'jumpsee' -- but that's another post...).

Anyway, the girls came inside the other night, sad. Why? Well, the trusty skipping rope from MY childhood had broken! It made me think back to those fun times. Skipping with all kinds of friends -- sometimes with friends of friends, kids I didn't know. It was a game that surpassed all other games. There weren't a lot of rules and there wasn't a limit to how many could join in. The more, the merrier. We didn't even consider it as exercise. It was FUN!

For me there were the rhymes that went along with skipping. "Apples, peaches, pears and plums -- tell me when your birthday comes..." and many others. Our girls have a book with all kinds of rhymes and fun skipping tricks to try.

It's been wonderful to see my own kids enjoy the very same skipping rope that I did. And although the one rope has now broken, they did find another one -- another one that was mine when I was a kid! They don't seem to make very long ones now -- or we haven't been able to find them. Today we went to quite a few stores, in search of a replacement rope. But nope, all we could find were cloth skipping ropes or Chinese skipping ropes. I found myself saying 'they don't make them like they used to.' I'm getting old!

Thankfully they found another oldie in the shed. We'll keep looking for a replacement rope. When I was a kid, as soon as spring rolled around (and often before spring arrived), the pretty coloured skipping ropes were on display around the check-outs in most stores. I often got a new one for easter. It brings back memories.

Update: Thanks to Susan at jumprope.com, we now have new skipping ropes! Now if only the weather would cooperate! Here Suzanne skips with her friends - while it's snowing!

4 comments:

CereneOne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ADasa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brenda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...