Saturday, April 28, 2007

All gluten-free -- Ahhhhhh! (& HLA DQ2 & 8 testing)

Today I went to a celiac conference! Although I don't have a definite diagnosis of celiac disease, I learned more today about the disease and about the gluten-free diet (which I've been on for almost 2 years now). It was an encouraging day and ALL of the food there was gluten-free. Lots of samples and a buffet afterwards! It was wonderful! I didn't eat the veggies or salad -- I figured I can (and do) eat those a lot at home. I tried new breads and buns and goodies, and various dishes, all made without a bit of gluten. Whoo-hoo! (only someone on this diet can truly understand how exciting this is!)
Annette Hamm from CHCH TV hosted the day and did a great job! It felt strange to go to a conference by myself but I did meet some new people (the couple that I sat with was from the same town AND have the same gastro doctor as I do!!)
The speakers were Bev Ruffo from the Canadian Celiac Association, Dr. Elena Verdu MD, PhD at McMaster University, Shelly Case, Registered Dietician and author of "The Gluten-Free Diet" (I highly recommend her book -- I've been using it as a resource for a while now and it's great!), and on the panel discussion were Valerie Fines, Dr. Robert Issenman (along with the others). A wealth of knowledge!

The best part? The gluten-free buffet! There was quite a stampede to the buffet table which was kind of funny to me!
*****

RE: HLA DQ2 AND DQ8 TESTING: in January I was told by a staff member at the MDS Laboratory in town that they do indeed do the HLA DQ2 and DQ8 blood testing. By that time, however, my requisition form was out of date. (I've been in the process of acquiring a new one from my doctor.) At the conference on Saturday they mentioned that this testing is not yet available in Canada so I was curious about whether my lab gave me incorrect information. I went back to the lab today and asked them again. This time I spoke to a different woman, who checked the computer database and told me that no, they DO NOT do this testing. Ugh.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...