Monday, August 28, 2006

What a Friend We Have in Jesus

Yesterday was Sunday and as usual, we went to church. I was feeling a little melancholy - I always feel this way at the end of summer. (I absolutely love fall, but I have to first mourn the passage of summer - get into the transition into fall - and then I embrace fall.) The clang of tent poles (those old tents with the strong poles...) meaning "pack up - the summer is over!"... back-to-school stuff everywhere... flowers looking bleak... leaves turning colour... cooler nights... all those things that I wanted to get done during summer but didn't get done... back to routine ... back to busyness...

Anyway, back to church...we were just beginning our pre-service hymns (we sing two) and I glanced behind me - and there I saw Miriam being wheeled into church!!! Wow! I choked up. This was the first time that I'd seen her since before the accident. For some reason I really looked at her on the Sunday before the accident and noticed how pretty she looked. She had an ivory blouse on and it looked really pretty on her - I never considered how things might change for her and our church family during the week that followed...(see July 2006 'Please Pray for Miriam & Friends'.) Anyway, the organ & piano were playing the hymn intro and I glanced down & began to sing..."What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!! What a privilege to carry, EVERYTHING TO GOD IN PRAYER!' Wow!! How true! That's where I lost it. Not tears of sadness - but happiness. It's comfort. It's gratefulness. My unworthiness. His amazing gift. His amazing love. It's knowing without a shadow of a doubt that there are no accidents, only divine appointments!! And knowing, again without a shadow of a doubt, that God's hand is in every part of our lives and that HE IS IN CONTROL! What a comfort that is! I often wonder how non-Christians deal with life and it's big and little bumps. Without the Lord? Impossible!

Then I read this morning that Kathy (see 'A Short Chapter to Eternal Life') is now at a local hospice. Her health seems to be deteriorating quickly. My heart aches for Kathy's husband and their 12yo daughter. Just aches.

Yet, GOD DOESN'T MAKE ANY MISTAKES! What a comfort that is. That even though the situation looks bleak - the Lord is working His will in Kathy's life. I've already seen Kathy's faith evident in her attitude and life. I'm sure that others have too.

Big and little bumps. Without the Lord? Impossible.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer!

~~In His arms He'll take and shield thee, thou wilt find a solace there.~~
(Joseph Scriven, 1820-1866)

2 comments:

SunnySusan said...

Oh Twinnie...prayers for your friend. I too see no earthly reason to die so young and having such a young daughter....can't imagine...don't want to.

But great post........

Mandalynn said...

Wow, you make me think!! :) Sometimes it hurts!! LOL :) What a testiment to see Miriam at church this past Sunday!! PTL!!

Praying for Kathy & her family...I can't imagine what they're all going through...

Talk to ya later :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...