Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Clergy, Miriam & Organs!

Now aren't you curious with that title!?
Just a few little tidbits for you today...I'll start with ---

Did you know that October is CLERGY APPRECIATION MONTH? Since three out of seven of my brother-in-laws are ministers - this one is close to my heart! I'm sure that all of you show your appreciation for your minister and his family all the time - but remember him especially this month! A note of encouragement, a kind word - these are the things that encourage all of us!

~~~

Remember Miriam? Well, she has a post on her recovery Blog that she wrote HERSELF! I cried when I read it. Thank you so much for all of your prayers for her and the other girls. The Lord has blessed them with amazing recoveries. We know that not very many people who are injured so significantly end up recovering like Miriam has and we praise the Lord for that! Read Miriam's post here.
http://miriamfluit.blogspot.com/

~~~

And HAVE YOU SIGNED YOUR ORGAN DONOR CARD?
When our family needed to get new health cards earlier this year the receptionist asked me point blank if I'd like to donate my organs. I'd pondered it for a while but always held back at doing the actual signing. Why the hesitation? I don't know! So when I was put on the spot I jumped at the opportunity. Decision made. Done! I don't know about you but thinking about donating means thinking about death and sometimes that is difficult. However, when you think of all the families that can be helped because of one person's donations (upwards of 75 people can be helped with one person's donations!) -- it just doesn't make sense to not sign. THINK ABOUT IT!

Here's some stats:
~ Every three days in Ontario, one person dies waiting for an organ transplant.
~ Canada's organ donor rate hovers around 13 donors per million people and has stuck at this level for more than a decade.
~ According to the Canadian Organ Replacement Register, donations in Canada increased by 258 between 1995 and 2004, but 1,400 more people were on the list.
~ A 2001 Environics poll reported 96% of Canadians support donation, but fewer than 45% had signed donor cards.

Organs that can be donated:
According to Trillium Gift of Life, one donor can save the lives of up to seven people through organ donation and enhance the lives of up to 75 others through tissue donation.

Organs that can be donated after death include, liver, lungs, heart, pancreas, kidneys or small bowel.

Examples of the tissue donation are ocular tissue (eyes), cardiovascular tissue (heart valves, pericardium), bone and connective tissue (ligaments and tendons) and skin.

Important reminder:
Once you've signed your card, let your family know about your decision. Make it clear to them. They have the final say. Even though you've said 'yes', they can say 'no' when/if the time comes. It's very important to make sure that your family knows your wishes. Make that final gift to another family in need.


I've signed my card. Have you?

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Praise God for Miriam's recovery! It is just amazing what God has done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...